22. Racism, Judicial and Prison Reform
- Review the scriptures
- Genesis 1:26-27
- Galatians 3:28
- John 13:34
- Acts 10:34
…as they relate to the topic of racism. (185)
- What was the essence of Dr. Garlow’s story on pages 187-188 regarding people who do not have connections with those in power? How did that story impact you?
- What was the purpose of Dr. Garlow’s second story on pages 188-189 when he spoke about the importance of having a daddy? Why is that important?
- What was the purpose of Dr. Garlow’s third story when he talked about “understanding their issues”? (189) Question: if you are white, do the ethnic minorities around you feel that you understand their issues?
- What was the purpose of Dr. Garlow’s fourth story when he quotes a prominent black leader saying, “I needed that.” (189-190) What was that leader really saying?
- What can we learn in these areas? How can we be involved in the solutions listed on page 191? Regarding education – can we tutor underserved and underprivileged children? Absence of economic investment in black areas might be more difficult for you personally to address, but what thoughts do you have on the need for this?
- Why should we be concerned about judicial reform? Review the story on pages 191-192 regarding judicial reform. What thoughts do you have?
- Why should we be concerned about prison reform? Review the story on pages 192-193 regarding prison reform. What thoughts do you have?
- Review the story of TORI, Texas Offenders Re-entry Initiative, on pages 193 and following. Is there someway you, your church, can do that?